Monday, November 8, 2021

My last post was in the spring! Now we are in the fall and so much has transpired this summer. A lumpectomy, radiation, gobs of house visitors, a new puppy followed by a heafty dose of Tendonitus. I will be happy to have life return to it's usual quiet, slow pace. However, there have been many positive events as well sprinkled amongst all the medical issues. I made several major sales of large pieces. Finally some sales of the Vanishing Landscapes. Nothing makes me feel more complete than a sale of my work so close to me. It's not the money persay but the gratification knowing that someone appreciations what I am saying enough to pay to own the piece and live with it hanging on their wall. Petrichor sold to a couple in Dublin NH and hangs in their newly renovated barn in their offices. Another favorite piece of mine sold as well. The last of my Stillpoint black figures. It is a 5 foot, mixed media figure. I miss having it in the studio giving me peace and inspiration and reminding me of my wonderful trip to Ireland with Rebecca Crowell. Since I was not in the studio much this summer, I worked with a friend to compile a catalogue of the past 3 years work. I brought together favorite quotes I like and am inspired by such as Thick Nhat Hahnh's "Be strong and enduring like a mountain and soft and powerful like water. Since my work is all based on nature, I continue to read about the magnificience of nature and all its intricacies. I am currently reading David Haskell's The Forest Unseen. He is a botanist who studied a square meter in the forest for a year and writes about all that goes on in such a small space. Of course some of it is explaining about the creatures and plants beyond what is happening that day on that site. I learned a lot bout how ants influence the spread of seeds. Aside from my work and self, I met with a Lance Richardson who is writing the biography of Peter Matthiessen. He is here at MacDowell and heard that I lived here. He came to the house to interview me. He is currently writing about the part of Peter's life when my father and Deborah divorced and my half sister Rue was born. Lance has already been writing for a few years and seemed to know all the good, bad and ugly about all those grownups after WW2.

No comments:

Post a Comment