Friday, January 8, 2021

January 6, 2021 As I wrote in my 'end of the year' letter, during this tumultuous year of political turmoil, erratic weather patterns and a pandemic, I did have 3 wonderful events occurr. First was the birth of my second grandchild, Beatrix Clementine. The second was that my neighbors logged their property giving me a spectacular view of Mt. Monadnock. I was given a view of the entire ridgeline with Monadnock in the center. It's spell binding to watch the weather roll in and the colors change hourly on the mountain. And third was that the past years of traveling and residencies and workshops all seem to come together this summer. Though I am unable to go to FL I would have chosen not to as I need to be in my nothern studio where I have more materials and more space to work. Due to COVID, many good teachers from far and wide are posting their videos on Youtube. I have come across some wonderfully gifted painters which have added to my painting abilities. Combined with what I have already learned, I felt I made some giant strides.I returned to the stone theme with new techniques. I surrounded the 3 dimensional stone with my color fields. Slowly, building up layers of CWM and oils, I have acheived satisfying effects. The stones I place in recessed boxes. I am not sure what all the meanings are of the box. Is it a safe haven? Is the stone hiding? Is it a symbol of my aloneness? I leave that to the individual viewer.
These two, 14 x 14 inch pieces, are CWM and oils on panel. Stone inserted in the surface. They are titled Silent Sentinel One and Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment